Runtime error 216 on Atrex startup can sometimes indicate that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is enabled on the system for ALL programs, not just essential Windows components. In some instances, Atrex will simply stop running and Windows will display an error report which indicates exception code c0000005.
As the security components used by Atrex are incompatible with DEP, an exception needs to be added to allow for it to run.
- Open the Windows Control Panel
- Select "System and Security"
- Select "System"
- Select "Advanced System Settings"
- Select the "Advanced" tab if it is not already selected.
- Click the "Settings" button in the Performance area.
- Select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.
- Click the "Add" button.
- Select the Atrex executable and click the Open button
- Click Apply.
It is best to reboot the system after making these changes as this error can sometimes result in Atrex being left in memory, which will prevent Atrex from starting properly.